To maximize the effectiveness of your collection and to raise the most funds we have come up with a list of tips to help promote your Collection Day and make it as successful as possible.
- Promote your collection through posters; We have made our own poster which you can personalise for your own school! Download it here and distribute it in and around your school.
- Announce your collection to parents prior to handing out your bags by giving the pupils a letter to take home. Be specific about what you are raising funds for so parents will be more invested. Have you done a collection day before? Remind them of how great it went last time and what you were able to do with all the funds that were raised. We have made a template letter to make it even easier. It explains how our scheme works and how best to raise as much funds as possible for your child’s school.
- Now it’s time to get the children excited. What better way is there than to offer them something in return. Here are some thoughts:
- Award a "Non Uniform Day" to the class that brings in most bags
- Give a raffle ticket for each bag brought in and draw a raffle prize
- Award extra house points to the class that brings in most bags
- Are you afraid that a Collection Day might be difficult to arrange in the middle of the school year? Arrange your collection to coincide with other school events like PTA meetings, parents evening’s or a sports day.
- Raise more funds by asking family and friends to contribute a bag to the collection. Most people you know will have clothing in their wardrobe that they haven’t worn in ages and have no use for.
- Bring an educational element to your collection by holding an Eco Day in advance, on which you focus on educating the children on the environment and recycling in specific. You can combine this with an assembly on the importance of recycling given by someone from Bag2School. This will give the children a better sense of why it is so important to collect a lot of clothing for Collection Day. Want to know more about these complementary presentations, go to our Education page!
- Advertise your collection through Twitter or Facebook. Does your school have a Text Service? Text all participants a day or two before the collection date to remind them to bring their Bag - 2 - School!
Had a great Collection Day? Please leave your own tips with our helpdesk so you can help the next school to do just as well!